from – Speaker Ryan Press Office
WASHINGTON— On Thursday, House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) welcomed leaders of free-market and pro-life organizations to the Capitol to discuss advancing a conservative agenda. Below are his opening remarks from the top of the meeting:
“I asked leaders of the conservative movement here in America to come today to talk about how we move forward, and how we advance our principles. We believe in the principles of conservatism. We believe in liberty and free markets. We believe in life, the Constitution. These are important principles that we have an historic opportunity to make good on.
“And so we have here some of the leaders of the conservative movement, and people I’ve been working with in the conservative movement for over 20 years. We’ve got:
- Doug Holtz-Eakin from the American Action Forum;
- Jay Sekulow from the American Center for Law and Justice;
- Matt Schlapp—who is on his way, because he’s dropping his kids off at school right now—from the American Conservative Union;
- We’ve got Grover Norquist from Americans for Tax Reform;
- Dan Weber from the Association of Mature American Citizens;
- Tom Schatz from the Citizens Against Government Waste;
- Ryan Ellis from the Conservative Reform Network;
- Ralph Reed from the Faith and Freedom Coalition;
- Grace-Marie Turner from the Galen Institute;
- Darla St. Martin from the National Right to Life Committee;
- Pete Sepp from the National Taxpayers Union;
- Karen Kerrigan from the SBE Council; and
- Marjorie Dannenfelser from the Susan B. Anthony List.
“These are leaders of the conservative movement who’ve been toiling, day in and day out, for many years to make good on our principles.
“We had a setback last week, but we’re not going to let that get us down. We’re going to talk about how we move forward and advance this agenda and truly seize this historic opportunity we have in front of us to improve people’s lives and make a difference and advance these conservative principles.”