“It ain’t easy being green” Now, it is! Follow these tips to become more green and help us make a sustainable future. We borrow the world from the future generations. Here’s how to invest in the future, without changing everyday life drastically.
- Ditch the Straw- Yup, you’ve heard it. Straws that are made of plastic are used only once and then put into landfills for hundreds of years. Going strawless can save hundreds of pounds in the landfill. Instead, invest in a steel straw. Not only will the drink taste better, but you’ll look way cooler too.
- Use a Bamboo Toothbrush- Every toothbrush that is made of plastic is still in a landfill today. Instead, invest in a bamboo toothbrush that is biodegradable. These toothbrushes are sold online for the same cost as a plastic toothbrush. After all, if it does the same job, does it matter what the stick is made of?
- Go Green, While Surfing the Net- For every search, the internet search engine Ecosia, plants trees by using 80% of its profits towards making the world greener.
- Forecast: Green- Using internet website HairForecast, you can get the weather in your area and the hair forecast, which is calculated by considering factors such as humidity and wind in your area. For every forecast, they give free water to African countries, using the revenue from ads on the website.
- Skip the Bottled Water- By investing in a reusable water bottle, such as a Nalgene, Brita, or S’well, you get a beautiful bottle that saves plastic from the landfills.
- Keep Your Freezer Fuller- It’s eco-friendly to keep the freezer stocked, as it takes more energy to freeze an empty space. So stock up on freezable meals to save money in more than one way!
- Wash Clothes on Cold- Washing on cold can save energy and cost of heating the wash cycle. If your clothes aren’t stained, a cold wash can clean just as well. The cold also retains colors and stretch in clothes better than hot, making both your clothes and your wallet, look a bit nicer.
- Use Reusable Bags- Plastic bags are often difficult to carry and need to be double-bagged and tied to be secure. Instead, skip the fuss by investing in reusable bags. They are often much sturdier and able to carry more items more comfortably than traditional paper or plastic. Also, stores will not be upset if you use bags from competitors. Some bags even have freezer insulation, meaning you won’t have to rush home with the ice cream!
- Unsubscribe from Junk Mail- Junk mail, you know the type, that you never read anyway? Ditch the clutter, added stress, and waste by simply unsubscribing. You may even be saving your mail carrier an extra trip, too.
Often times, being green is easier than it seems. Even if we don’t follow everything perfectly, by making small changes over time and encouraging others to do the same, we can truly make a difference in the world around us, and for years to come.