The slow cooker is an electrical cooking appliance that simmers food at a lower temperature until cooked. One popular brand is the Crock-pot. This cooking method works in the same way as simmering food on the stovetop or in a Dutch oven, whereby steam is generated from the heat and seals the lid to cook the food. The constant temperature and low heat enable food to retain moisture while cooking. For this reason, it is not necessary to lift the lid while cooking. Since little attention is required, it is a great recipe for busy people on the go!
CREAMY SLOW COOKER CHICKEN RECIPE:
- 2 packages of Perdue fresh diced and all-natural chicken breast meat (or two one lb. packages of chicken breast meat, diced)
- 1 large family-size (22.6 oz) can of Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (or two 10 ½ oz. cans)
- Equal parts water to condensed soup (measure 22.6 oz using the can)
- ½ of a large white onion, peeled & sliced
- 1 large 10 oz. package of small whole white button mushrooms (cleaned/tough end of stem trimmed away)
- 2 T. dried Oregano
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Directions: Put the ingredients into the slow cooker. Gently stir, then cover. Cook on high for about 4 to 5 hours or on low for about 6 to 8 hours. These are average cooking time estimates. ***Note that slow cooker performances may vary depending upon brands. Make sure meat is cooked through and has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. when tested with a food thermometer.
Best served hot over mashed potatoes, noodles, or rice. Great served alongside your favorite vegetable or with a salad and a crusty loaf of bread. Creates 6 to 8 main-meal portions. It also makes terrific leftovers!
Do you like this recipe and want more like it? Please share your thoughts!