Flood Insurance

AMAC Flood banner

Why Do I Need Flood Insurance?

Anywhere it rains, it can flood. Just because you haven’t experienced a flood in the past, doesn’t mean you won’t in the future. Flood risk isn’t just based on history, it’s also based on a number of factors: rainfall, river-flow and tidal-surge data, topography, flood-control measures, and changes due to building and development.

The NFIP uses Flood-hazard maps that have been created to show different degrees of risk for your community, and are a broad brush approach in determining the risk and the cost of flood insurance. We drill down to your specific property and review your flood risk. Let us look at your home show you what your flood risk looks like for your individual home.

Protect Your Home with Flood Insurance


The percent of U.S. counties impacted by a flood event


The average flood claim payout from the National Flood Insurance Program

Source: www.fema.gov

The NFIP definition; A flood is a general and temporary condition where two or more acres of normally dry land or two or more properties are inundated by water or mudflow. Many conditions can result in a flood: hurricanes, overtopped levees, outdated or clogged drainage systems and rapid accumulation of rainfall. With NatGen Beyond Floods the definition of flood is a broader definition giving more coverage.

Times are changing. A flood insurance policy since about 1968 was a government funded policy giving property owners the bare minimum coverage needed to recover from flood events. Limited replacement cost coverage for homes and actual cash value for personal property that may have been damaged. With limits of coverage maxing out at $250K for building and $100K on contents for a single family dwelling. Today we can offer so much more

Beyond Floods vs NFIP Comparison

Moderate to low risk is typically referred to as an X Zone. Lenders do not require coverage in an X zone. High-Risk zones are any A or V zone and most lenders will require coverage. Regardless of the zone here are some statistics on flooding in the last decade to take into consideration;

  • In 2018 when Hurricane Harvey hit Texas leaving $125 Billion dollars in damage analytical company Core Logic estimated that 70% of the damages were uninsured in an X zone.
  • In 2019 when Hurricane Michael hit the panhandle of Florida as a category 5 hurricane with an 18 foot storm surge it destroyed 70% of the resort community of Mexico Beach homes and businesses and 80% of those structures were uninsured because they were in a zone X.
  • It isn’t just hurricanes that cause flooding, in June of 2016 devastating floods hit Greenbrier County WV washing homes off their foundations.
  • September 2019 flooding causes more than 1000 flights to be cancelled out of O’Hare and Midway International Airport.

As you can see flooding can affect anyone anywhere. Let us take a look and see what your flood risk is and help you protect your most valuable asset.

If you live in a high-risk area, a standard rated policy is the only option for you. It offers separate building and contents coverage.

Flood insurance premiums are calculated based on factors such as:

  • Year of building construction
  • Building occupancy
  • Number of floors
  • The location of its contents
  • Its flood risk (i.e. its flood zone)
  • The location of the lowest floor in relation to the elevation requirement on the flood map (in newer buildings only)
  • The deductible you choose and the amount of building and contents coverage

If your home is in a high-risk flood area and you have obtained a mortgage through a federally regulated or insured lender, you are required to purchase a flood insurance policy

Become an AMAC Member

Don't miss out on all the benefits and offers you get for becoming an AMAC member. Join or Renew Today
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x