AMAC members value responsible stewardship when it comes to spending taxpayers’ dollars and appreciates Senator Ernst’s reputation as a leading adversary of wasteful government spending. Her MAKE CENTS legislation protects taxpayers by holding lawmakers accountable as they debate the federal budget while making the process more transparent.
May 29, 2020
The Honorable Joni Ernst
Senator from Iowa
730 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Cc: Senator Mike Braun (IN), Senator David Perdue (GA)
Dear Senator Ernst,
On behalf of the 2.1 million members of AMAC – Association of Mature American Citizens, including over 21,000 residing in the state of Iowa, I write to offer our support for S. 3267, the Making Americans Know about Excessive spending through Commonsense Efforts to Notice and Target Shenanigans Act (MAKE CENTS).
Responsible government spending is a hallmark issue for AMAC and is also one of the foundational motives for our association’s inception 13 years ago. AMAC members have consistently voiced their concern over runaway government spending and its impact on our national debt.
S. 3267 seeks to create the transparency and accountability in the federal budget process demanded by AMAC members and other taxpayers by:
• Requiring an annual report listing every government funded project that is $1 billion or more over budget or five years or more behind schedule
• Requiring every project supported with federal funds to include a price tag that is easily available for taxpayers
• Seeking to eliminate the “use-it or lose-it” incentive many government agencies feel at the end of the year by limiting an agency’s spending in the last two months of the fiscal year to no more than the average it spent per month during the preceding 10 months
• Introducing a “No Budget, No Recess” provision for Congress if they have not yet approved a budget by April 15 or passed all appropriation bills by August 1
• Establishing a “No Budget, No Pay” provision where Congress will not earn paychecks if they fail to meet the statutory deadline for passing a budget resolution or fail to fund the government by October 1
Thank you, Senator Ernst, and your responsible cosponsors, for having the courage to act as fiscal ombudsmen on behalf of American taxpayers. AMAC appreciates your reputation as a leading adversary of wasteful government spending and is pleased to offer our organization’s full support for S. 3267, the MAKE CENTS Act.
President, AMAC Action