One of the very sad and surprising dimensions of this Presidential election is when formerly respected Republican influencers from the Washington “power swamp” are campaigning against the re-election of a highly successful Republican President and Vice President – and spending substantial funds to create and to air “fake news” and character assassination TV ads.
In short, these “Never Trumpers” are in effect campaigning for the election of the ultra-liberal progressive big government Biden-Harris Democrat ticket.
One has to ask these questions:
- Why would they ignore the pre-pandemic successes of the Trump Administration, in which all Americans benefited?
- Why would they want to stop the extraordinary recovery underway from this pandemic and the resurgence of jobs for Americans hurt by the China-sponsored pandemic?
- Why would they abandon conservative principles they supposedly champion to support the election of the ultra-liberal progressively socialist oriented Biden-Harris ticket?
- Why are they targeting Republican Senators to deliver the Senate to the other party?
Perhaps, these questions explain the “why.”
- Is it because their political principles lost in the 2016 primaries to a non-politician business leader elected as a populist-centered President who would not respect the norms of the “political swamp,” and would speak directly and even bluntly against it and those who championed it?
- Is it that they see the defeat of President Trump as a new opportunity for them to re-emerge as power players in the GOP — and lead against a Democratic Administration promising more taxes and more regulation that can only result in a decline in the economy and loss of opportunity and jobs for Americans?
I also think this group reflects the horrible pettiness of some in politics who, when their personal political agenda and maneuvering has failed and been rejected, throw baseless rhetorical and personal attacks at the incumbent President. In sports, we called them poor or sore losers.
What’s worse, in cloaking themselves in the Lincoln name, they dishonor that great 16th President of the United States. In his April 18, 1864 speech in Baltimore, Maryland and in the midst of the Civil War, President Lincoln warned of the dangers posed by wolves in sheep’s clothing – and which metaphorically applies here:
“The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep’s throat, for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as a liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty, especially as the sheep was a black one. Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails to-day among us human creatures … and all professing to love liberty. …”
In this connection, I am reminded of this admonition from the Bible in Matthew 7:15: “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.”
In sum, it is really tragic that a group professing to be conservative “Lincolnesque” Republicans would want the American people to elect a Democratic ticket promising bigger government, increasing taxes and regulations that can only erode the returning health of the economy and jobs. Perhaps, in the case of those in the so-called “Lincoln Project,” they, too, like ravening wolves, are starved…for power