An update provided by the White House.
President Trump has taken action to stem the spread of the virus, mitigate its impact on the U.S., and find innovative solutions to address this outbreak.
CONTAINMENT: President Trump has taken action to restrict travel from impacted areas and secure our borders.
- President Trump implemented travel restrictions on travel from China in January.
- The President placed further travel restrictions on Europe, the United Kingdom and Ireland, and Iran.
- The Administration raised travel warnings to their highest level for hot spot locations.
- The President expanded airport screenings and instituted mandatory quarantines.
- The U.S. and Canada have mutually agreed to close the northern border to nonessential travel.
MITIGATION: President Trump is working every day to mitigate the impact of the coronavirus here in the United States.
- The Administration is keeping the public informed so that every American can do their part.
- The Administration launched a website – coronavirus.gov – to keep the public informed about the outbreak.
- The President announced guidelines for Americans to follow and do their part to stem the spread of the virus.
- The President launched a partnership with the Ad Council, media networks, and digital platforms to communicate public services announcements about the coronavirus.
- The Task Force has recommended mitigation strategies to heavily impacted communities, like those in New York, Washington, and California.
- CMS announced guidance to protect vulnerable elderly Americans and limit medically unnecessary visits to nursing homes.
- President Trump is working to ensure healthcare providers have the resources and flexibility they need to respond to this outbreak.
- In January, the Administration declared the coronavirus to be a public health emergency.
- The President announced he is invoking the Defense Production Act.
- The President signed a memorandum directing his Administration to make general-use face masks available to healthcare workers.
- HHS announced it will be purchasing 500 million N95 respirators for the Strategic National Stockpile.
- The Department of Defense announced it will be providing 5 million respirator masks and 2,000 specialized ventilators to assist.
- The President took action to give HHS authority to waive rules and regulations so that healthcare providers have maximum flexibility to respond to this outbreak.
- CMS dramatically expanded telehealth for Medicare beneficiaries, ensuring more patients can access their doctors remotely while avoiding exposure.
- CMS and the VA are working to limit nonessential, elective medical procedures to free up healthcare resources.
- The Navy will be deploying two medical ships to help support impacted areas.
- The President is rapidly expanding testing across the country to identify cases.
- The FDA issued emergency approval for new commercial coronavirus tests to significantly expand testing across the country.
- HHS is providing funding to help accelerate the development of rapid diagnostic tests for the coronavirus.
- The FDA is empowering states to authorize tests developed and used by laboratories in their states.
- The Administration is ensuring that all Americans can be tested regardless of their financial situation.
- The President secured legislation to ensure Americans are able to be tested for free.
- CMS is giving flexibility to Medicare Advantage and Part D plans to waive cost-sharing for coronavirus tests and treatment.
- The Administration announced that health plans with health savings accounts will be able to cover coronavirus testing and treatment without co-payments.
- President Trump is supporting working Americans and their families who have been impacted by the coronavirus.
- The Administration negotiated legislation which will provide tax credits for eligible businesses that give paid leave to Americans affected by the virus.
- The Administration took action to provide more flexibility in unemployment insurance programs for workers impacted by the coronavirus.
- The President has directed the Education Department to waive interest on student loans held by the federal government.
- The Administration is deferring tax payments for certain impacted individuals and businesses.
- USDA announced a new collaboration with the private sector to deliver nearly 1,000,000 meals a week to students in rural schools closed due to the coronavirus.
- The Department of Housing and Urban Development is halting foreclosures and evictions for families with FHA-insured mortgages.
- The Administration is providing relief for businesses who have been affected by this outbreak.
- The Small Business Administration has announced disaster loans which provide impacted businesses with up to $2 million.
- The President directed the Energy Department to purchase large quantities of crude oil for the strategic reserve.
- President Trump has held calls and meetings with leaders from the pharmaceutical industry, airlines, health insurers, grocery stores, retail stores, banks, and more.
INNOVATION: President Trump is promoting innovative solutions to meet the challenges we are facing due to the coronavirus outbreak.
- The Trump Administration is working with the private sector to find innovative solutions to expand testing.
- The Administration is working with the private sector to develop a website that Americans can utilize to determine whether they need a test and, if so, where to get it.
- The Administration is working with state and local partners and the private sector to open up drive-through testing sites.
- The Administration is working to help accelerate the development of therapeutics and a vaccine to combat the disease.
- The National Institutes of Health has announced the beginning of a clinical trial for a coronavirus vaccine candidate.