President Trump is marshalling every resource to stop the crisis of veteran suicide and protect our nation’s most treasured heroes.
- Today, President Trump’s PREVENTS Task Force is unveiling a Roadmap to Empower Veterans and End the National Tragedy of Suicide.
- Over 150 subject matter experts from 15 Federal agencies worked to identify the most critical problems, analyze potential solutions, and recommend next steps.
- President Trump established the PREVENTS Initiative (“President’s Roadmap to Empower Veterans to End the National Tragedy of Suicide”) last year.
- President Trump has taken an all of government approach to address the national tragedy of veteran suicide.
- Each day, an average of 20 service members and veterans die by suicide and President Trump is committed to doing all he can to end this national tragedy.
The PREVENTS roadmap provides recommendations in four areas of focus: programs, research, polices, and communications strategy.
- The Task Force lays out how critical it is to scale up data-backed programs at the community, state, and local level.
- This includes promoting suicide prevention initiatives in workplaces, schools, faith-based communities, and more.
- The Task Force provides recommendations on key research reforms, including prioritizing research focused on delivering the most effective interventions based on each veteran’s needs and circumstances.
- The Task Force provides recommendations on the development of policies across government to improve suicide prevention, including proposing legislation to drive grant funding to communities.
- The Task Force calls for a public campaign aimed at increasing awareness of risk factors and promoting a culture of support.
- Following through on these efforts, the Administration will be launching a public awareness campaign that will mobilize every sector of society.
President Trump has worked tirelessly to confront this challenge and deliver the highest standard of care for those who have bravely worn our nation’s uniform.
- Under the President’s leadership, every VA medical facility now offers same-day emergency mental healthcare.
- As promised, the Trump Administration created a 24/7 White House VA Hotline to ensure that our veterans receive immediate attention and aid.
- The President expanded veteran’s ability to choose the healthcare that best meets their individual needs by signing the VA MISSION Act.
- President Trump signed the VA Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act, making it easier to identify problems within the VA and improve the quality of service for veterans.