President Trump shared some of his thoughts on the economic relief legislation under consideration by Congress. Here are some of the highlights of the bill he discussed:
- The massive $2.2 trillion relief package includes job retention loans for small businesses, with loan forgiveness available for businesses that keep their workers on the payroll.
- Direct cash payments will be available to American citizens earning less than $99,000 per year. $3,400 for the typical family of four.
- Expanded unemployment benefits – the average worker who has lost his or her job will receive 100% of their salary for up to four full months.
- $3.5 billion to expand assistance to childcare providers and childcare benefits to healthcare workers, first responders, and others on the front lines of the crisis.
- Critical support for the hardest hit industries, with a ban on corporate stock buybacks and tough new safeguards to prevent executive compensation abuse.
- Over $100 billion for our amazing doctors, nurses, and hospitals.
- $45 billion for the disaster relief fund, more than doubling the amount available.
- $27 billion for the coronavirus response, including $16 billion to build up the strategic national stockpile with critical supplies including masks, respirators, and all sorts of pharmaceuticals.