President Trump has launched Operation Warp Speed to deliver a safe and effective coronavirus treatments and vaccines as quickly as possible
- Operation Warp Speed marks a massive science, industrial, and logistical endeavor unlike anything our country has seen since the Manhattan Project.
- The President has appointed two remarkably qualified leaders to help oversee this effort:
- Moncef Slaoui will serve as Chief Scientist, having previously served Chairman of Global Research and Development and Chairman of Global Vaccines at GlaxoSmithKline, where he led the development of 5 major novel vaccines –.
- Gustave Perna will serve as Chief Operating Officer, a 4-star general in charge of the U.S. Army Materiel Command.
Operation Warp Speed is a revolutionary public-private partnership that will aid the development, manufacturing, and distribution of coronavirus vaccines and treatments.
- Operation Warp Speed aims to eliminate every last inefficiency to cut down the vaccine timeline and will continue to accelerate the development of breakthrough therapies.
- Even while a vaccine is being developed, Operation Warp Speed will work to accelerate the manufacturing and the distribution process so a vaccine can be delivered as soon as it’s ready.
- More than a dozen promising vaccine candidates have already been identified from the more than 100 currently in development.
- After further testing, large-scale trials will proceed for 3-5 candidates.
- President Trump and his Administration are committed to making the vaccines and therapies emerging from Operation Warp Speed affordable and accessible to the American people.
President Trump is dedicating the full resources and support of the Federal government behind this historic effort.
- President Trump has directed nearly $10 billion to Operation Warp Speed through funding that was included in the CARES Act.
- Additionally, other flexible funding appropriated by Congress will be accessed to support the effort.