Yes, you heard that right!
Once you are covered under Medicare, you are entitled to a variety of preventive tests and services. In some cases, you might have to pay a copay for the doctor visit but will not have to pay for the test itself. Check ahead of time to be sure your doctor will accept the Medicare payment for the test that is being done.
Here are some of the free preventive services Medicare beneficiaries are eligible to take advantage of:
- “Welcome to Medicare” preventive visit (one time) – A one-time review of your health, education and counseling about preventive services, and referrals for other care if needed. Be sure to get it within 12 months of signing up for Medicare Part B.
- Yearly “wellness” exam – If you have had Part B for longer than 12 months, you can get a yearly wellness visit to develop or update a personalized prevention plan based on your current health and risk factors.
Other tests and screenings covered:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening
- Alcohol misuse screenings & counseling
- Bone mass measurements (bone density)
- Cardiovascular disease screenings
- Cardiovascular disease (behavioral therapy)
- Cervical & vaginal cancer screening
- Colorectal cancer screenings
- Multi-target stool DNA tests
- Screening barium enemas
- Screening colonoscopies
- Screening fecal occult blood tests
- Screening flexible sigmoidoscopies
- Depression screenings
- Diabetes screenings
- Diabetes self-management training
- Glaucoma tests
- Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) infection screening
- Hepatitis C screening test
- HIV screening
- Lung cancer screening
- Mammograms (screening)
- Nutrition therapy services
- Obesity screenings & counseling
- Prostate cancer screenings
- Sexually transmitted infections screening & counseling
- COVID-19 vaccines
- Flu shots
- Hepatitis B shots
- Pneumococcal shots
- Tobacco use cessation counseling
Is my test, item, or service covered? Medicare has a tool in which you may lookup your service to see if it is covered.
You may access their lookup tool by clicking Here
If you have questions, call AMAC’s Medicare Advisory Service to speak to one of our trusted, licensed insurance advisors at 1-800-334-9330.